Friday, March 19, 2010

Response to listeners of my interview on the Diane Rehm Show (March 16, National Public Radio)

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-03-16/jonathan-balcombe-second-nature#comment-53

Thank you to all who listened to the show today, and thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I just now read them (all of them). I have mixed feelings about some of these comments, for sure, but they show that I struck some chords, tweaked some nerves and generally got people thinking into some uncomfortable territory. For that I am grateful. Also, I’m sorry I didn’t respond to all the questions that came through. A one-hour media interview goes incredibly fast and there’s a premium on time for both guest and host. I don’t assume to be the authority on these complex matters (thanks, Lori, for your comment on that) or to have all the answers. I do feel very strongly, however, that our current relationship with animals represents what the Hope Indians would call koyaanisqatsi: life out of balance. There is an enormous disconnect between what we now know of animals’ experiences of their lives, and how we treat them as a whole (most notably as in factory farms and commercial fishing — which consume some 75 billion sentient creatures yearly). That disconnect badly needs fixing. A key element to fixing it is information. Putting the information out there is the core aim of this book.

3 Comments:

At April 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM , Blogger HD Marsh AKA Marshlady said...

I am so glad I listen to NPR all day and learned about you and your work. My free copy of your book just arrived and I'm loving it! It's just so good to find kindred spirits out there! I'll keep fighting the good fight to bring awareness to others.
Thank you for all you are doing to help these fellow-beings.
Sincerely,
Heidi Marsh

 
At May 15, 2010 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Raw ME. Going Raw in Maine said...

Thanks to David Benzaquen @ Farm Santuary for helping me "find" you! looking forward to reading your book(s)!

 
At January 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM , Blogger WhiteKalibabe said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9RnDp_tms

Hello Jonathan, I just discovered your website and your mission and as a great animal lover and someone who helps people let go of their fear of snakes, I am very gratefull to you!

Coincidentally, I also discovered thsi amazing video today of an incredibly clever crow having fun, so i thought you'd probably appreciate it :) Best wishes, Hana

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home