Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow sparrow


This little fella flew into our deck window, ignoring the falcon silhouettes I’ve placed there. He lay trapped between the soft snow and the glass. I opened the door and gingerly picked him (or her) up. He was stunned but alert and appeared uninjured. You can see why they’re called white-throated sparrows. My cupped hand became quite hot beneath his body. He seemed to like the added heat from my hand. He flew after about 5 mins. Now that the next blizzard has arrived, I suspect he’s one of the many little birds out there on the snow pecking about for the seeds put out by me and the neighbors. I am amazed that these tiny beings survive winter temperatures, never mind when it storms!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home